To demonstrate that they have achieved the CAEP standards, providers choosing the Transformation Initiative Pathway submit a self-study using the steps presented below:
- Review. Study and understand the CAEP Standards, process, and responsibilities. Study the five standards and their components and refer to the glossary for definitions. Review the Accreditation Manual and access the website (www.caepnet.org) for the most up-to-date guidance on the evidence for the self-study. When in doubt, contact CAEP staff.
- Inventory available evidence. The provider should consider developing an inventory of the evidence that it currently uses on candidate and completer performance and on other CAEP requirements, noting what evidence the provider relies on and uses, what it does not, and what it might begin to collect. The provider should address the prompts under each standard.
- Gather information, categorize and prepare evidence to be uploaded, and draft tables to be completed. Invest time in examining the evidence thoroughly. CAEP suggests that the provider begin to categorize its evidence into the standards and components. Information that will eventually appear in the self-study report (see outline of the Self-Study Report in section 2, below) include (a) the provider overview, (b) evidence and summary statement for each standard, (c) responses to previously cited areas for improvement, if any, (d) evidence and summary statement of the integration of cross-cutting themes, and (e) the Transformation Initiative Plan (TIP). Information is also requested in the overview section on the programs offered by the provider and institutional structure.
- Take stock. CAEP suggests that the provider meet with its stakeholders, including P-12 districts and candidates, to review and seek feedback on what was learned from steps 1–3.
- Analyze and discuss the evidence and draft TIP. Analyze and interpret the evidence and assessment results. Develop the plan for action.
- Formulate summary statements. Draft a set of statements that makes clear what the provider believes it accomplishes with regard to CAEP's standards and its two cross-cutting themes. These statements should be consistent with public statements of the provider’s quality and the performance of its candidates. In addition, the statements should be linked to the provider’s evidence, including assessments and results.
- Draft and submit the Self-Study Report. Compile a complete draft of the Self-Study Report, including evidence, summary statements, and the Transformation Initiative plan. Review the draft with stakeholders, revise as needed, and upload the final version into CAEP’s Accreditation Information Management System (AIMS). Evidence should be tagged to the appropriate standard(s), component(s), and cross-cutting themes, as well as for quality indicators.