The CAEP 2018 K-6 Elementary Teacher Preparation Standards have been approved as a choice of standards for states and EPPs selecting the CAEP Program Review with Feedback option for their elementary teacher preparation programs. These standards are available for providers to use to conduct program level review of K-6 elementary education programs as part of the CAEP accreditation process. Since CAEP does not have a SPA status the CAEP 2018 K-6 Elementary Teacher Preparation Standards may be used when EPPs select the CAEP Program Review with Feedback option, depending on the state’s requirement for its EPPs. Unlike a SPA, CAEP will not be offering “national recognition” to programs.
States specify through an agreement with CAEP, the program review options. After Fall 2020, when we are proposing to sunset the 2007 ACEI Standards, states will need to indicate whether EPPs offering Elementary Teacher Preparation programs will be able to adopt the Feedback option for review. If so, the state will specify whether EPPs in its jurisdiction will be using the InTASC Standards or the CAEP 2018 K-6 Elementary Teacher Preparation Standards for review.
2018 K-6 Elementary Teacher Preparation Standards
Summary of the 2018 K-6 Elementary Teacher Preparation Standards
- Summer 2018: The CAEP 2018 K-6 Elementary Teacher Preparation Standards adopted.
- Summer 2018- Spring 2019: EPPs adopt standards to make curriculum changes (if necessary).
- Fall 2019- Fall 2021: EPPs implement curriculum changes and start collecting data for program review (between 2019 and 2021 EPPs may collect two cycles of assessment data).
- Fall 2021 and beyond: All EPPs selecting the Feedback option adopting the new standards will submit program review report two years prior to their site visits in Fall 2023.
During the transition period (site visits from Fall 2018 to Spring 2023), EPPs selecting the Feedback option may use the InTASC Standards.
EPPs during the transition may also use the 2007 ACEI standards with the following phase out schedule:
- Fall 2018 through Fall 2019: EPPs can use the ACEI Standards for submitting initial review, response to conditions, and revised reports.
- Spring 2020: EPPs can use the ACEI Standards for submitting only response to conditions and revised reports. Initial review will not be conducted using these standards.
- Fall 2020: The ACEI Standards will be discontinued. All elementary educator preparation programs will have the option to select either the Feedback option or the state review option for accreditation purposes.
** Coming Soon: Templates for submitting program reports using CAEP 2018 K-6 Elementary Teacher Preparation Standards.