Board of Directors
There are several committees which support the mission and vision of CAEP and inform the Board of Directors. Board Committees are permanent and comprised of members of the Board of Directors only. Standing committees are permanent committees of the Board and comprised of members of the Board of Directors and experts in the field. Advisory committees have charges which are approved by the Board annually and whose membership are determined based on the committee charge.
CAEP Board of Directors | CAEP Bylaws | CAEP Governance Policy
Board Executive Committee
The Executive Committee shall have the authority to make decisions on behalf of the Board when such authority is delegated by the Board or on emergency matters where action is temporary. It shall also evaluate the performance and set the compensation of the President and oversee CAEP’s financial operations.
Board Bylaws and Policy Committee
The Bylaws and Policy Committee shall review the CAEP Bylaws and CAEP Policy Manual, as deemed necessary but at least annually, and recommend to the Board any changes that such committee may consider appropriate. The Bylaws and Policy Committee shall also consider changes to the Bylaws and CAEP Policy Manual as may be proposed by other Board Committees and the Accreditation Council.
The Committee shall solicit recommendations and present to the Board one or more slates of candidates for election, re-election, or appointment of Directors, and the Accreditation Chair position. The Nominating Committee shall also provide consultation to the President on the appointment of Board, Standing, and Advisory Committee members. In making its nominations for Officers, the Nominating Committee shall ensure that the leadership of CAEP reflects the necessary partnership between educator preparation and P-12 education and CAEP’s commitment to diversity.
Equity Standing Committee
The Committee will serve as independent experts advising CAEP on issues of diversity and equity in accreditation.
In FY 17, the responsibility of the Committee will be to:
- Develop language for a definition of equity for CAEP.
- Develop and present recommendations for ensuring diversity is addressed with each accreditation decision.
- Identify exemplar recruitment plans and work with CAEP Accreditation and Communication departments to share those plans with EPPs.
- Develop a recommendation for how equity concepts should be incorporated into site visitor training.
Research Standing Committee
The Committee will serve as independent experts whose function is to advise CAEP on the following specific matters pertaining to the organization’s research, data, and reporting efforts.
- Upon request of the Accreditation Council, advise on CAEP’s progressive data activities related to the 2016 and future EPP Annual Reports.
- In alignment with strategic planning efforts, define the CAEP research strategy (and associated funding needs) for the next three years.
- Review and evaluate grant proposals submitted by CAEP to meet research objectives.
- Review and make recommendations on whether CAEP should accept research studies specific to component 3.2 submitted by states.
- Review and provide expertise and guidance on CAEP’s research study reports (i.e. student perception surveys and better preparing teachers to work with families) and funding proposals (i.e. impact study, better evidence, and rater reliability).
SPA Standards Advisory Committee
The Committee will be responsible for reviewing new or revised standards, policies, and procedures developed by specialized professional associations (SPAs) for reviewing programs which provide licensure in professional specialty area studies. The review process is based on the CAEP Guidelines adopted in relation to the development and implementation of the SPA standards. SPA standards are revised every seven years. In FY 2017, the responsibility of the Committee will be to review the standards in the following specialty areas:
- Elementary Education – see Attachment A: Update on Elementary Standards (p. 5) for an update on the progress of this work.
- Secondary Social Studies Education
- Health Education
- Physical Education
- Reading Specialists (one year out)
Strategic Planning Advisory Committee
The Committee will be responsible for reviewing and refreshing CAEP’s strategic plan. In FY 2017, the responsibility of the Committee will be to engage in strategic planning.
- Review and assess the current education landscape and define CAEP’s role as an accreditor within that landscape.
- Develop draft organizational goals for discussion at the December 2016 Board meeting.
- Facilitate discussions with CAEP staff regarding operationalization of the goals.
- Present final plan at the June 2017 Board meeting to go into effect July 1, 2017.